Sunday, February 10, 2013

Homemade Pockets


 
 
I used to love those pocket type frozen snacks from the freezer section.  I stopped eating them for a while for whatever reason and picked some up one day when they were in sale 2 boxes for 3$  I figured what the heck, I'll have them on hand for a quick lunch.  Then I had one.  The pepperoni pizza I think it was.  All it was was a big lump of dough with some pizza flavored smear in the middle.  There was no filling.  I ate the rest only because I wasn't going to throw them away.
 
So then I thought, why don't you make your own?  I know I'm trying to stay away from processed food, but I had a can of biscuits in the fridge that I wanted to go ahead and use. I also made a huge crock pot of meatballs and sauce a while ago and needed to use them all up because they were just hanging out in the freezer.  Well, as you can see, the rest is history.
 
 
I defrosted them and mashed the meatballs into a mixture. 
 

 
These were the biscuits I had.
 

 
Does popping the can scare the bejeezus out of anyone else?
 

 
Spread them as this as you can and put half a slice of cheese in the middle.  I had sliced mozzarella in the fridge, but you could use shredded.  If I had had shredded I would have mixed some of it in with the meat mixture then some on bottom and top.
 
 
Put some meat in the middle and top with rest of slice.  Just make sure you don't put too much or it will split the dough.  If you get a hole in it, it's very hard to get it to stick back together and stay.
 


Gather the tops and smoosh them up as tight as you can so they stay and bake for the amount of time it says on the biscuit can.  Line your cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray for easy clean-up if one does open and spill out.

 
They turned out really good.  As you can see, the one on the bottom opened a little and you can see the cheese.  No biggie.

These went in the freezer and when I wanted one, I took it out the night before and let it thaw.  Then put it in the microwave for about 2 minutes and then the toaster oven for a few to finish it off.  They weren't as good as fresh out of the oven for obvious reasons, but  a heck of a lot better than pockets of flavored goo.
 

 
The possibilities of filling is endless and plan to do this again with a homemade pizza dough.  Philly cheese steak, pepperoni pizza, Buffalo chicken, chicken enchilada.  You could even do a sweet version with maybe apple pie filling, berry cobbler.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment