Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chicken Nuggets

Yay! Pictures are working again! 
 
Ok, so here's something that will really blow your socks off.  At least mine went flying...
 
Homemade chicken nuggets.  The "Mc" version, if you will...
 
Yes, I've made chicken tenders out of chunks of breast meat breaded and fried.  This is different though.  These have almost the same consistancy as the "Mc" nuggets.  As my first attempt and a grease splattered eye later (will explain), these were fantastic in my opinion.  Adapted from Homemade Chicken Nuggets 
 
 
Ground chicken (the OP ground their own chicken breast meat but I have no way to do so.)
Spices - I used garlic and onion powder, parsley salt and pepper.  I think there is a lot of room for different spice mixtures to use here.
Flour
2 Eggs
Cornstarch (my choice, not OP)
Oil for deep frying
 
 

Mix chicken and seasoning together
 
 
Make teaspoon sized balls out of chicken
Mix flour and cornstarch together and beat egg.
 
 
Dip balls in flour and then egg, then flour again and press into nugget shapes.  Meanwhile get oil to about 350-365.
 
 
Once all nuggets are done and oil is ready, start dropping nuggets into oil.
 
***OK, here's my disclaimer - I do not have a deepfryer.  I have a small saucepan that I used because I can get the oil deep enough in it to deep fry.  First batch I put in was going well until one of the nuggets had some moisture I guess where flour wasn't coating and grease started splattering and little mini fires started on my coils. I also took a splatter to the right eye as I was trying to control the mess.  I got through the first batch (pictured) and got them out and turned the heat down a bit.  After that, I was fine.  They turned a nice golden brown after 6 or 7 minutes with some turning in between. 
 
 
Done nuggets
 
 
Inside of nuggets.
 
They do look a lot like "Mc" nuggets and as far as I can report, taste a little better.  But that's just me.  I made a little Siracha Mayo to dip in and they were awesome.
 
Healthy?  Well, still deep frying something isn't the healthiest, but if you're craving something like this, it hit the spot for me...
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment