Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Crock Pot Applesauce

I like applesauce.  It gets a little boring though.  It all tastes the same, even the fruit flavored ones.  Fruit flavored... fruit... wait, what?  Anyway, this is my version.  I got the idea here: Crock Pot Applesauce

For my take on it I used my smaller Crock because I wasn't going to make enough to can.  I also skipped the lemon peel because I didn't have any and used cinnamon powder because I didn't have sticks.  No lemon juice either.  After making this a few times now, my general formula is:

 
4 or 5 apples cored and peeled
1 ts unpacked brown sugar per apple
dash cinnamon per apple
 
 
 Slice your apples up into bite size chunks.  I like to use a variety.  For this batch I used 2 honeycrisp and a Gala and an Ambrosia.  This combo is going to be pretty sweet.  I don't like tart foods so I skip those types but you could certainly use any combo.  There's dozens of apple combos to use.
 
 
Toss everything in the crock and set to low for 4-6 hours.
This is after 6.  You can see it's pretty reduced.  I know it doesn't look like a lot here, it's because I took a couple of spoonfuls out before I took the picture.
You can see mine is pretty chunky.  If you want yours smooth, you can use an immersion blender or blender or food processor to make it extra smooth if thats what you want.  I just mash mine up with the spoon a little.
 
 
It's tasty warm.  I've stored it in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days.  I don't know if it would go longer than that.  It's never lasted past 5 days.  You can also freeze it.  Just take it out the night before you need it and put it in the fridge.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment